How to Manually Install Crazy Egg
The tracking script is what lets Crazy Egg track your visitors and without it, your report will not pick up any of your users' interactions. Installing the Crazy Egg script involves copying and pasting the script into your web page(s) or in your header file. If you maintain your header information in a separate file then you only need to install this script once. If you have your header information (code) on each of your web pages then you will need to install this code on each page. We also integrate with a number of platforms, so check to see if yours is on the list!
1. The recommended location to add the script is before the closing head tag. Open your page in a text editor in your HTML code, locate </head>. Here is an example:
2. Paste your Crazy Egg script on the line before </head>. Your page should look similar to this.
3. Save your changes.
Congratulations, you have set up the script and are now ready to start creating snapshots!
Noteworthy mentions ...
1. If you are unsure where to find your code snippet, click here: https://app.crazyegg.com/v2/install/manually. You will need to be logged into your Crazy Egg account.
2. The tracking script is unique to your account and the same tracking script is used for all snapshots added to your account.
3. The tracking script will detect the protocol used on your site and match it. An HTTPS version of the tracking script will be used if your site uses HTTPS/SSL.
4. The tracking script can be installed anywhere on the page. The recommended installation location is before the closing head tag.
5. You can use the Script Check Tool to check your installation. Add your page URL and click on Check URL.
If you don't want to manually install your code check out the list of platforms we integrate with and see if yours is on the list!
Create Your First Snapshot
What should I do next? Start creating Snapshots so you can see what visitors are exploring on your website and what areas could use some improvement. Check out our Crazy Egg 101: 4 Steps to a High Converting Website guide for more inspiration.