Guide to User Recordings
Recordings is a Crazy Egg feature that lets you watch recordings of your visitors interacting with your website. You'll see their actual mouse movements, clicks, and more!
Get instant feedback after you launch a new website
- Identify bugs or UX issues
- Watch individual visitors interact with your site's navigation and product pages
... and much, much more!
Recordings simplify the collection of website feedback so you can improve your site with confidence.
How to Set Up User Recordings
1. Install the Crazy Egg tracking script. You can find the script by clicking on My code within your Crazy Egg dashboard.
2. Go to your Recordings dashboard which is on the left-side navigation to access the Recordings dashboard. The Recordings dashboard gives you a bird's eye view of all your video recordings.
3. Click on Start Recording.
By default, Crazy Egg will record sessions on any page on your site that has the Crazy Egg tracking snippet installed.
Need to control which user journeys you want to record? See Start recording specific pages.
Data Collection Distribution
Crazy Egg provides three options for collecting Recordings. By default, we will automatically distribute data collection evenly throughout the day over the course of the month.
Let's say your site receives 326,000 sessions per month
And your account is on the Recordings plan of 1500 sessions per month
1500 / 326,000 = 0.0046 which is about 0.4%
Crazy Egg tracks 4 out of every 1000 sessions
We also allow you to customize your sampling rate in case you'd like us to record all of your visitor sessions during a specific time period. Or record Consecutive visitors up to a max of your Recordings plan limits.
Your Recordings Player
Your Recordings Player includes the list that the particular recording is a part of (playlist, filtered list, all videos), device information about the browser, and two views of the visitor Timeline: 1. With the time stamps of every action taken on page 2. As a control bar on the bottom with colors depicting different actions. Learn more about your Timeline here.